lucene-java-user mailing list archives

From "Grant Ingersoll" <gsing...@syr.edu>
Subject Lucene 1.4 RC 3 issue with temp directory
Date Mon, 17 May 2004 18:15:23 GMT
Hi All,

I just upgraded to 1.4 RC 3 and am now unable to open my index.

I am getting:
java.io.IOException: The system cannot find the path specified
        at java.io.WinNTFileSystem.createFileExclusively(Native Method)
        at java.io.File.createNewFile(File.java:828)
        at org.apache.lucene.store.FSDirectory$1.obtain(FSDirectory.java:297)
        at org.apache.lucene.store.Lock.obtain(Lock.java:53)
        at org.apache.lucene.store.Lock$With.run(Lock.java:108)
        at org.apache.lucene.index.IndexReader.open(IndexReader.java:111)
        at org.apache.lucene.index.IndexReader.open(IndexReader.java:95)
        at org.apache.lucene.search.IndexSearcher.<init>(IndexSearcher.java:38)

I _have_ reindexed using the new lucene jar.  I am positive the path is correct as I can open
an index in the same directory with the old Lucene with no problems.  I notice that the problem
only occurs when I am deployed inside of Tomcat.  If I run searches on the command line or
through JUnit everything functions correctly.

When I print out the lockDir location that is trying to be obtained above, it looks like:
C:\ENG\index\LDC\trec-ar-dar\..\temp which is the directory my index resides in, except ..\temp
does not exist.  When I create the directory, it works.  I suppose I could create the temp
directory for every index, but I didn't know that was a requirement.  I do notice that Tomcat
has a temp directory at the top, so it is probably setting some system property ("java.io.tmpdir"????)
variable to "..\temp" that is being picked up by Lucene?  The question is, what changed in
RC 3 that would cause this to be used when it wasn't before?

On a side note, would it be useful to create the lock directory if it doesn't exist?  If the
developers think so, I can submit the patch for it.

Thanks,
Grant