lucene-java-user mailing list archives

From "Alex Chaffee" <a...@jguru.com>
Subject IBM JIT 1.3.1 vs. Lucene?
Date Sun, 16 May 2004 21:49:19 GMT
On the jGuru Lucene FAQ, I discovered the following:

http://www.jguru.com/faq/view.jsp?EID=1152238

"Apparently there is a bug in IBM's JIT code in JDK 1.3.1. To work around
it, disable JIT for the org.apache.lucene.store.OutputStream.writeInt method
by setting the following environment variable:
JITC_COMPILEOPT=SKIP{org/apache/lucene/store/OutputStream}{writeInt} "

However, I am now using Lucene on WebSphere using IBM's JDK 1.3.1,
apparently successfully. How do I know if I'm vulnerable to this bug? What
are the cases in which it could manifest? Could IBM have fixed the bug in an
update?

The reason I don't just set the environment variable is that it's
politically difficult to change any configuration of the servers at my
client. We have a different workaround -- a homegrown search index using
hashtables -- but we'd prefer to use Lucene... but not if there's a chance
of getting a bug in production. We're down to the wire and need to decide
whether to use Lucene or not for this deployment... Can you shed any light
on this?

Thanks much -

 - Alex Chaffee
alex@jguru.com