lucene-java-user mailing list archives

From "Phil brunet" <philouc...@hotmail.com>
Subject Re: Mixing database and lucene searches
Date Tue, 11 May 2004 07:55:02 GMT
Hi to all.

Just one word about "crossing" Lucene results and DB results.  Maybe it is
obvious but maybe not (sorry for my english).

Once you got the Lucene results, a good way is to get the PKs that you have
stored in the Lucene and use then directly in the SQL query with a IN
operator.

In that way, if your Lucene query "retrieves" 100 results, your SQL query
would never retrieve more than 100 results (it avoids you a costly SQL fetch
and an intersection).

Using a fixed number of bind variables in the SQL query  guaranties you the
best SQL query execution query (it cuts the db parsinf time).

If you can't guaranty a fixed number of Lucene results (and it is often the
case !), a good way is to duplicate the last PK and so to  round to a fixed
number.

Cordialy

Phil