lucene-java-user mailing list archives

From Erik Hatcher <e...@ehatchersolutions.com>
Subject Re: Will CJKAnalyser be release with Lucene 1.4?
Date Sun, 30 May 2004 09:00:56 GMT
On May 29, 2004, at 11:37 PM, Che Dong wrote:
> Is it possable move CJKAnalyser out of sandbox to jakarta-lucene
> package?

I would be against such a move.  I think Lucene's core has too many
analyzers in it already, such as the German and Russian ones.  The core
could do without any of the concrete analyzers altogether, in my
opinion - but it is handy to have a few general purpose convenience
ones.

What benefit, besides convenience, would there be in CJKAnalyzer into
the core?  What about the all the others in the sandbox?  If we bring
one in, why not all of them?

It has been brought up to bring in the SnowballAnalyzer - as it
actually is general purpose and spans many languages.  I'm not really
for bringing that one in either.

I'm but one voice and would not veto bringing in other analyzers, I
just don't think there is much benefit, especially if we improve the
release process to incorporate the sandbox goodies into a single
distribution but as separate JARs.

	Erik