lucene-java-user mailing list archives

From "Scott Smith" <ssm...@mainstreamdata.com>
Subject Lucene 1.4
Date Thu, 06 May 2004 18:11:11 GMT
We are currently using lucene 1.3 on a production web server.  For the
most part, it runs great.  However, once in a while we see some problems
which I suspect are the infamous "running out of file handles" bugs.  I
would claim that we are doing everything right (famous last words) so it
would be nice if someone could explain the proper methods for using the
Searcher object to avoid this problem.  I should probably mention that
I'm adding new items to the index once per minute though I close the
indexwriter each time.  I suspect the problem is that I can't close the
Searcher object because the hits list needs it to get at the documents.

At any rate, that brings me to the real question.  I believe I've read
that 1.4 has changes to largely eliminate these problems.  I know that
RC2 is out.  My question is has anyone tried RC2?  Is it stable?
Obviously, I'm trying to make the decision as to whether moving to
1.4RC2 or stay with 1.3.  Comments would be appreciated.

Scott