lucene-java-user mailing list archives

From Claude Devarenne <cla...@library.ucsf.edu>
Subject Re: org.apache.lucene.search.highlight.Highlighter
Date Fri, 21 May 2004 16:26:07 GMT
Arrgh the attachment didn't make it here it goes, sorry:

         //perform a standard lucene query
         searcher = new IndexSearcher(ramDir);
         Analyzer analyzer=new StandardAnalyzer();
         Query query = QueryParser.parse("Kenne*", FIELD_NAME, analyzer);
         query=query.rewrite(reader); //necessary to expand search terms
         Hits hits = searcher.search(query);

         //create an instance of the highlighter with the tags used to
surround highlighted text
         QueryHighlightExtractor highlighter =
                         new QueryHighlightExtractor(query, new
StandardAnalyzer(), "<b>", "</b>");

         for (int i = 0; i < hits.length(); i++)
         {
                 String text = hits.doc(i).get(FIELD_NAME);
                 //call to highlight text with chosen tags
                 String highlightedText =
highlighter.highlightText(text);
                 System.out.println(highlightedText);
         }

If your documents are large you can select only the best fragments from
each document like this:
         //...as above example

         int highlightFragmentSizeInBytes = 80;
         int maxNumFragmentsRequired = 4;
         String fragmentSeparator="...";
         for (int i = 0; i < hits.length(); i++)
         {
                 String text = hits.doc(i).get(FIELD_NAME);
                 String highlightedText =
highlighter.getBestFragments(text,

highlightFragmentSizeInBytes,maxNumFragmentsRequired,fragmentSeparator);