lucene-java-user mailing list archives

From Erik Hatcher <e...@ehatchersolutions.com>
Subject Re: Bad file descriptor (IOException) using SearchBean contribution
Date Tue, 18 May 2004 21:14:53 GMT
On May 18, 2004, at 1:43 PM, Timothy Stone wrote:
> Erik Hatcher wrote:
>> Lucene 1.4 (now in release candidate stage) includes built-in sorting
>>  capabilities, so I definitely recommend you have a look at that.
>> SearchBean is effectively deprecated based on this new much more
>> powerful feature.
>>     Erik
>
> Forgive my naivety, but isn't the purpose of the SearchBean more than
> just sorting? Without the SearchBean, creating a MVC demo becomes a
> larger exercise to undertake.

Could you elaborate on what you mean by MVC here?  A value list handler
piece has been developed and links posted to it on this list - if this
is the type of thing you're referring to.

Personally I'm skeptical of using such wrappers.  Lucene itself
provides the needed wrapping for efficiency to allow you to page
through search results with the least possible resource use.  Trying to
pull all results into a collection and iterate them will not scale
unless you leverage some lazy handling like Lucene already provides.  I
don't see the need to add an additional intermediate layer.  Purists
will claim it "abstracts" the implementation.  But, I'm _agile_ and
being so means I have faith in my skills to shift my codebase to a
different search implementation when/if needed, and I definitely do not
foresee that as even being a possibility since Lucene is superb.

I'd love to hear how folks are using SearchBean though, and why they
feel it is beneficial.

> Can anyone elaborate further on what Lucene 1.4 RC 3 offers that
> deprecates SearchBean?

Maybe "deprecates" was too strong - but sorting is completely covered
with built-in capabilities now, and you can see above regarding my MVC
opinions.

It offers sorting by relevance, document id, and any field you've
indexed appropriately (see javadocs for details) as well as custom
sorting implementations.  I have, as a prototype, leveraged the custom
sorting implementation to efficiently sort documents (businesses with a
"location" field) by geographic distance from the user doing the query.

	Erik