lucene-java-user mailing list archives

From Paul Williams <p...@valinf.com>
Subject Getting a field value from a large indexed document is slow.
Date Fri, 14 May 2004 15:22:14 GMT
Hi,

I hope someone can help!
I am using Lucene to make a searching repository of electronic documents.
(MS Office, PDF's etc.). Some of these document can contain a large amount
of text (about 500K of text in some cases) which is indexed to make it
searchable.

Doing the search and getting the hits found is not effected by the size of
the document found.

But when I try and access a field (my document id) in the document

 i.e.

// Create Lucene Doc with value
Document doc = hits.doc(i);

String number = doc.get("Field10");

The creation of the Lucene document can take up to a second per hit. I don't
actually use any of the other fields apart from getting my ID value from
field10.

So my question is:-

Is there a smarter way of getting out the 'Field10' value without it
populating all the rest of the fields in the Lucene document and therefore
reduce the time taken for this action.

Paul

DISCLAIMER:
privileged. It is intended solely for the addressee.  Access to this message
by anyone else is unauthorised.  If you are not the intended recipient, any
disclosure, copying, or distribution of the message,  or any action or
omission taken by you in reliance on it, is prohibited and may be unlawful.
Please immediately contact the sender if you have received this message in
error.
 Thank you.
 Valid Information Systems Limited.   Address:  Morline House,  160 London
Road,  Barking, Essex, IG11 8BB.
http://www.valinf.com Tel: +44 (0) 20 8215 1414 Fax: +44 (0) 20 8215 2040