lucene-java-user mailing list archives

From Kevin Burton <bur...@newsmonster.org>
Subject Possible to fetch a document without all fields (for performance)?
Date Sun, 16 May 2004 02:19:46 GMT
Say I have a query result for the term Linux... now I just want the
TITLE of these documents not the BODY.

To further this scenario imagine the TITLE is 500 bytes but the  BODY is
50M.

The current impl of fetching a document will pull in ALL 50,000,500
bytes not just the 500 that I need.

Obviously if I could just get the TITLE field this would be a HUGE speedup.

Is there a somewhat simple and efficient way to get a document with a
restricted set of fields?  Digging through the API it didnt' seem
obvious and using the SegmentReader directly didn't seem fun.

Kevin

--

Please reply using PGP.

    http://peerfear.org/pubkey.asc