lucene-java-user mailing list archives

From Doug Cutting <cutt...@apache.org>
Subject Re: exact the same score from different documents
Date Fri, 14 May 2004 17:34:54 GMT
hui wrote:
> I am getting the exactly same score like 0. 04809519 for different size
> documents for some queries and this happens quite frequently. Based on the
> score formula, it seems this should rarely happen. Or I misunderstand the
> formula?

Normalization factors (& document boosts) are represented in the index
using a one-byte float format with a 3-bit mantissa, which means that
differences of plus-or-minus 1/8 are rounded to a single value.

For example, a field with 256 tokens by default has a lengthNorm() of
16.0.  With a three-bit mantissa, values 16.0 to 18.0 are rounded to the
same value, which means that fields with between 256 and 324 tokens will
have the same effective length normalization.

Doug