lucene-java-user mailing list archives

From Erik Hatcher <e...@ehatchersolutions.com>
Subject Re: How to handle range queries over large ranges and avoid Too Many Boolean clauses
Date Tue, 18 May 2004 23:43:40 GMT
On May 18, 2004, at 3:56 PM, Claude Devarenne wrote:
> Thanks, I'll try that.  It would nice too if I could extend field (it
> is a final class) and create a numerical field.  Is that not
> desirable?

It isn't that much more effort to have something like NumberUtils
listed here:
http://wiki.apache.org/jakarta-lucene/SearchNumericalFields

I'm not sure of the pros/cons to making Field extensible or not, but it
really is of marginal benefit since it ultimately it needs a String and
a conversion of numeric to String in your own code isn't involved.  I
suppose we could put something like NumberUtils (maybe called
NumberField to be like DateField) in the core to have a built-in
solution.  We probably ought to also go another step and provide Date
-> YYYYMMDD conversion as additional parts to DateField.

	Erik