lucene-java-user mailing list archives

From Erik Hatcher <>
Subject Re: Returning Separate Hits from Multisearcher
Date Mon, 10 May 2004 12:18:24 GMT

On May 10, 2004, at 8:13 AM, David Townsend wrote:
> We have a number of small indices and also an uber-index made up of
> all the smaller indices.  We need to get do a search across a number
> of the sub-indices and get back a hit count from each.  Currently we
> search  each index, we've also tried running multiple queries against
> the uber-index, with a field denoting which subindex we are interested
> in. Obviously this approach is very slow.  Is there any way to use
> MultiSearcher to do this?  The problem we currently have with
> MultiSearcher is there seems no way to tell how many hits came from
> each index.  Is there a recommended way to do this, or should we
> modify MultiSearcher to return information about the hits on each
> any ideas?

Instead of running multiple queries against the uber-index, try making
a single "uber" query that builds up boolean query clauses that select
each of the small "index" fields you're interested in.

Also, perhaps using a Filter to narrow down the search space on the
uber-index is more along the lines of what you're after?

To unsubscribe, e-mail:
For additional commands, e-mail:

View raw message