lucene-java-user mailing list archives

From Ype Kingma <ykin...@xs4all.nl>
Subject Re: Are lucene have a configuration feature for storage compression option?
Date Fri, 14 May 2004 14:10:08 GMT
Alex, Otis,

On Friday 14 May 2004 13:58, Otis Gospodnetic wrote:
> Moving to lucene-user list.
>
> Hello,
>
> Didn't I already answer these questions?
>
> 1. No :(

There is bit more to say, see below.

> --- Alex Aw Seat Kiong <alex.aw@bigonthenet.com> wrote:
> > Hi!
> >
> > Some question about lucene:
> > 1. Are lucene have a configuration feature for storage compression
> > option?

Lucene indexes are quite compact already.
Text (western languages) is normally indexed to about 1/3 it's original size,
I don't know about CJK.
You can have a look at the file formats on the Lucene web site to see how the
compression is done. Among others there are common prefixes for
the sorted terms, variable length integers, and storing differences between
integers instead of the complete numbers when possible.

One place where compression might be useful is in the stored fields, but
there is no API for it in Lucene.

Kind regards,
Ype