lucene-java-user mailing list archives

From Paul <p...@waite.net.nz>
Subject Re: Memory Requirements
Date Thu, 13 May 2004 21:11:31 GMT
Ype Kingma wrote:

> Paul,
> I suppose you somehow reduced the number of expanded terms in
> your range queries. Could you tell us how this was done?

Yes, we were querying on a datetime field (seconds resolution). We
re-indexed with a date field instead, since people querying were only
generally interested in day resolution for filtering.

We retained the datetime as a stored field.

We index about a 1,000+ articles per day, so this reduced the typical
number of boolean terms in a date-range query by a factor of 1,000.

The retained datetime stored field allows us to post-sort resultsets in
datetime order.

Cheers,
Paul.