lucene-java-user mailing list archives

From Paul <p...@waite.net.nz>
Subject Re: Memory Requirements
Date Thu, 13 May 2004 20:03:09 GMT
Stephane James Vaucher wrote:

> On Thu, 13 May 2004, Matt Quail wrote:
> > > do you know of any method to reduce the memory consumption of lucene
> > > when searching?

> Avoid prefix queries and wildcards, since they can be rewritten into large
> boolean queries. You can limit the rewritting with a maximum number of
> clauses in a BooleanQuery to prevent requests from taking too much memory.

Also look at any range queries you have. Depending on the range and the
number of terms in your index within that range you could potentially have
a lot of boolean query terms being generated.

Pre Lucene 1.3-Final, we did not appreciate this, and had a lot of Out of
Memory exceptions occurring. In 1.3-Final a limit on boolean query terms
was intorduced, and this revealed our problem. We re-organised our index
tin the light of that, and have had no exceptions since.

Cheers,
Paul.