lucene-java-user mailing list archives

From "Will Allen" <wg...@email.com>
Subject Query performance on a 315 Million document index (1TB)
Date Thu, 06 May 2004 23:47:55 GMT
Hi,
	I am considering a project that would index 315+ million documents. I am comfortable that
the indexing will work well in creating an index ~800GB in size, but am concerned about the
query performance. (Is this a = bad
assumption?)

What are the bottlenecks of performance as an index scales?  Memory?  = Cost is not a concern,
so what would be the shortcomings of a theoretical = machine with 16GB of ram, 4-16 cpus and
1-2 terabytes of space?  Would it be = better to cluster machines to break apart the query?

Thank you for your serious responses,
Will Allen