lucene-java-user mailing list archives

From Claude Devarenne <cla...@library.ucsf.edu>
Subject How to handle range queries over large ranges and avoid Too Many Boolean clauses
Date Tue, 18 May 2004 17:38:01 GMT
Hi,

I have over 60,000 documents in my index which is slightly over a 1 GB
in size.  The documents range from the late seventies up to now.  I
have indexed dates as a keyword field using a string because the dates
are in YYYYMMDD format.  When I do range queries things are OK as long
as I don't exceed the built-in number of boolean clauses, so that's a
range of 3 years, e.g. 1979 to 1981.  The users are not only doing
complex queries but also want to query over long ranges, e.g. [19790101
TO 19991231].

Given these requirements, I am thinking of doing a query without the
date range, bring the unique ids back from the hits and then do a date
query in the SQL database I have that contains the same data.  Another
alternative is to do the query without the date range in Lucene and
then sort the results within the range.  I still have to learn how to
use the new sorting code and confessed I did not have time to look at
it yet.

Is there a simpler, easier way to do this?

Claude