lucene-java-user mailing list archives

From Boris Goldowsky <bo...@alum.mit.edu>
Subject Re: Scoring documents by Click Count
Date Thu, 06 May 2004 21:26:25 GMT
On Thu, 2004-05-06 at 13:58, Ype Kingma wrote:

> Changing the click count this way is ok, but along with that you could
> change the (field) norm for the document to increase it's score
> in subsequent queries.
> You can use Document.setBoost() and/or Field.setBoost() just before
> IndexWriter.addDocument() to do this.

There may be workable ways to do this, but the one time I tried
adjusting boosts of already-indexed documents I found it didn't work
quite as I expected.  The documentation has a warning which explains
why:

getBoost
        Returns the boost factor for hits on any field of this document.
        [...]
        Note: This value is not stored directly with the document in the
        index. Documents returned from IndexReader.document(int) and
        Hits.doc(int) may thus not have the same value present as when
        this document was indexed.

So be cautious and test carefully if you try this -- and let us on the
list know how it goes!

Boris