lucene-java-user mailing list archives

From "Gerard Sychay" <Gerard.Syc...@cchmc.org>
Subject Re: Understanding Boolean Queries
Date Fri, 30 Apr 2004 14:54:11 GMT
FWIW, I'll relate a general note from my brief experience.  I try to
structure the index to avoid the need for boolean queries as much as
possible, in order to avoid issues like yours.

For example, I was indexing dozens of columns from a database table.
Each database row was a document, each column a field.  In order to
query all these fields, I had to construct huge boolean queries (via
MultiFieldQueryParser).  It was too slow.  After browsing some of mail
archives, i realized the proper way to do this was combine all the
columns into one field, and then add a second stored field with the name
of the column.  Now I had only one searchable field, and the queries
sped up dramatically.

>>> Tate Avery <tate.avery@nstein.com> 04/29/04 12:12PM >>>
Hello,

I have been reviewing some of the code related to boolean queries and
wanted to see if my understanding is approximately correct regarding
how
they are handled and, more importantly, the limitations.