lucene-java-user mailing list archives

From "Marten Senkel" <MSen...@europe.sial.com>
Subject Re: Problems From the Word Go
Date Fri, 30 Apr 2004 07:44:15 GMT

Hi Alex,

I just installed Lucene one week ago on a W2K box and it took me some time to get it running.
But
now Lucene is fully integrated in our intranet. I index and search with Lucene our menu, all
documents and the user profiles and display them according to user's access rights.

By habit I always try to compile the sources of such 'external modules' inside our projects
in order
to see at once whether things are incompatible or missing. Lucene did actually compile very
well as
Lucene is not depending on any other modules. At runtime, however, I always got ClassNotFound
exceptions for classes which have been compiled and which existed at the needed locations.
This is
really strange.
I've first upgraded to 1.4.2 and installed then the Enterprise Edition.

I tried many other things, but the only way to get things working was listing the JARs in
the
compile class path in my IDE (for yours the inclusion in the environment classpath may work)
and the
listing of the same JARs in the runtime class path of my application server.

This way things worked fine.

I had more trouble getting PDFbox to run in order to index PDFs as it would never compile
as pdfbox
was depending on ant, ant on bsf, and so on.
In order to get that running I just placed the following JARs in my IDE's compile classpath
and run
the program.
IDE: lucene-1.3-final.jar;lucene-demos-1.3-final.jar;pdfbox-0.6.5.jar
At runtime I was required to place some more JARs in the runtime classpath of the application
server:
Appserv: lucene-1.3-final.jar;lucene-demos-1.3-final.jar;PDFBox-0.6.5.jar;log4j-1.2.8.jar

If you need to run Ant, then just add the Ant JAR in your classpathes and go ahead! You'll
then see
at compile and run time which classes are still needed and then it's up to you to find and
download
them.

Let me know if this helps you advance in the matter.

At the beginning it was a bit hard to get started, but once the demo is running one progresses
really fast. Lucene is really great!

-Marten

                      "Alex Wybraniec"

                      <alex@pushbuttonsol        To:       <lucene-user@jakarta.apache.org>

                      utions.net>                cc:

                                                 Subject:  Problems From the Word Go

                      2004-04-29 17:53

                      Please respond to

                      "Lucene Users List"

I'm sorry if this is not the correct place to post this, but I'm very
confused, and getting towards the end of my tether.

I need to install/compile and run Lucene on a Windows XP Pro based machine,
running J2SE 1.4.2, with ANT.

I downloaded both the source code and the pre-compile versions, and as yet
have not been able to get either running. I've been through the
documentation, and still I can find little to help me set it up properly.

All I want to do (to start with) is compile and run the demo version.

I'm sorry to ask such a newbie question, but I'm really stuck.

So if anyone can point me to an idiots guide, or offer me some help, I would
be most grateful.

Once I get past this stage, I'll have all sorts of juicer questions for you,
but at the minute, I can't even get past stage 1

Thank you in advance
Alex
---