lucene-java-user mailing list archives

From Mike_Bela...@fws.gov
Subject Re: Combining text search + relational search
Date Wed, 28 Apr 2004 17:00:55 GMT

Bascially I want to limit the results of the text search by the rows that
are returned in a relational search of other attribute data related to the
document. The text of the document is just like any other attribute it just
needs to be queried differently. Does that make sense?

Thanks
Mike

             Stephane James
             Vaucher
             <vauchers@cirano.                                          To
             qc.ca>                    Lucene Users List
                                       <lucene-user@jakarta.apache.org>
             04/28/2004 10:38                                           cc
             AM
                                                                   Subject
                                       Re: Combining text search +
             Please respond to         relational search
               "Lucene Users
                   List"
             <lucene-user@jaka
              rta.apache.org>

I'm a bit confused why you want this.

As far as I know, but relational db searches will return exact
matches without a mesure of relevancy. To mesure relevancy, you need a
search engine. For your results to be coherent, you would have to put
everything in the lucene index.

As for memory consumption, for searching, if the index is on disk, then
the memory footprint depends on the type of queries you use. For indexing,
it depends if you use tmp RAMDirectory to do merges, otherwise, memory
consumption is minimal.

HTH
sv