lucene-java-user mailing list archives

From petite_abeille <petite_abei...@mac.com>
Date Tue, 13 Apr 2004 10:24:56 GMT

On Apr 13, 2004, at 02:45, Kevin A. Burton wrote:

> He mentioned that I might be able to squeeze 5-10% out of index merges
> this way.

Talking of which... what strategy(ies) do people use to minimize
downtime when updating an index?

My current "strategy" is as follow:

(1) use a temporary RAMDirectory for ongoing updates.
(2) perform a "copy on write" when flushing the RAMDirectory into the
persistent index.

The second step means that I create an offline copy of a live index
before invoking addIndexes() and then substitute the old index with the
new, updated, one. While this effectively increase the time it takes to
update an index, it nonetheless reduce the *perceived* downtime for it.

Thoughts? Alternative strategies?

TIA.

Cheers,

PA.