lucene-java-user mailing list archives

From "Weir, Michael" <Michael.W...@cognos.com>
Subject RE: verifying index integrity
Date Wed, 07 Apr 2004 14:37:31 GMT
Thanks for the quick response.
So if our server is the only process that ever opens the index, I should be
able to run through the indexes at startup and simply unlock them?

Michael Weir . Transform Research Inc. . 613.238.1363 x.114

-----Original Message-----
From: Doug Cutting [mailto:cutting@apache.org]
Sent: Tuesday, April 06, 2004 5:09 PM
To: Lucene Users List
Subject: Re: verifying index integrity

Weir, Michael wrote:
> I assume that it is possible to corrupt an index by crashing at just the
right
> time.

It should not be possible to corrupt an index this way.

> I notice that there's a method IndexReader.unlock().  Does this method
> ensure that the index has not been corrupted?

If you use this method, it is possible to corrupt things.  In
particular, if you unlock an index that another process is modifying,
then modify it, then these two processes might step on one another.  So
this method should only be called when you are certain that no one else
is modifying the index.

There is no index integrity checker.  I suppose one could implement one
by implementing a NullDirectory that ignores all reads and writes, then
use IndexWriter.addIndexes() to add the index to be checked to a
NullDirectory.  That would parse all of the files in the index.

Doug