lucene-java-user mailing list archives

From David Black <bl...@apple.com>
Subject Nested category strategy
Date Thu, 01 Apr 2004 19:48:39 GMT
Hey All,

I'm trying to figure out the best approach to something.

Each document I index has an array of categories which looks like the
following example....

/Science/Medicine/Serology/blood gas
/Biology/Fluids/Blood/

etc.

Anyway, there's a couple things I'm trying to deal with.

1. The fact that we have an undefined array size.  I can't just shove
these into a single field.  I could explode them into multiple fields
on the fly like category_1, category_2. etc. etc

2. The fact that a search will need to be performed like " category:
/Science/Medicine/*" would need to return all items within that
category.

Thanks in advance to anyone who can give me some help here.

Thanks