lucene-java-user mailing list archives

From Erik Hatcher <e...@ehatchersolutions.com>
Subject Re: ValueListHandler pattern with Lucene
Date Sun, 11 Apr 2004 15:46:47 GMT
On Apr 11, 2004, at 11:28 AM, lucene@nitwit.de wrote:
> On Sunday 11 April 2004 17:16, Erik Hatcher wrote:
>> Well, yes.... the one we already discussed.  Let your presentation
>> tier
>> talk directly to Hits, so you are as efficient as possible with access
>> to documents, and only fetch what you need.
>>
>> Again, don't let "patterns" get in your way.
>
> Well, the sense of tiers and (BTW: language-independant) patterns is to
> modularize software and make things exchangable. This way
> neither the presentation tier nor the search engine is exchangable.
>
> The problem actually is that VLH is designed to have a static list of
> VOs. VLH
> needs to evolve to support something like a data provider that
> dynamically
> may add data. The problems here so far is that an Iterator must throw
> an
> ConcurrentModificationException if the backing data is modified but as
> data
> in a VLH is actually never removed but only added this should be
> something
> possible to implement.

In other words, you need to invent your own "pattern" here?!  :)

The benefit of agility is to know that any decision you make now is not
something that prohibits you from change later.  Do you really think
you're going to plug-and-play with search engines?  Or will you be
sticking with Lucene for the foreseeable future?  Are you trying to
plan for a future without Lucene when there is no use-case for doing
so?  If you code with coupling to Lucene, do you see that as making
life harder in the future, or are you smart enough and flexible enough
to change your "soft"ware as times change?

Throw your patterns away when they don't solve the problem.  Be
pragmatic _and_ agile.

	Erik