lucene-java-user mailing list archives

From Erik Hatcher <e...@ehatchersolutions.com>
Subject Re: Nested category strategy
Date Fri, 02 Apr 2004 00:19:29 GMT
On Apr 1, 2004, at 2:48 PM, David Black wrote:
> Each document I index has an array of categories which looks like the
> following example....
>
> /Science/Medicine/Serology/blood gas
> /Biology/Fluids/Blood/
>
> etc.
>
> Anyway, there's a couple things I'm trying to deal with.
>
> 1. The fact that we have an undefined array size.  I can't just shove
> these into a single field.  I could explode them into multiple fields
> on the fly like category_1, category_2. etc. etc

Yes, you could use a single field.... and add them individually.

    doc.add(Field.Keyword("category", category1))
    doc.add(Field.Keyword("category", category2))

Or am I missing something about your scenario?

> 2. The fact that a search will need to be performed like " category:
> /Science/Medicine/*" would need to return all items within that
> category.

Keep in mind the issues you may encounter using QueryParser with such a
field selector.  Choose your analyzer(s) carefully!

	Erik