lucene-java-user mailing list archives

From Robert Koberg <...@koberg.com>
Subject Re: sorting by date (XML)
Date Tue, 27 Apr 2004 17:42:49 GMT
Otis Gospodnetic wrote:

> Beware of storing timestamps (DateFields, I guess) in Lucene, if you
> intend to use range queries (xxx TO yyy).

Why?

We have attributes that contain iso8601 date strings and when indexing:

Date date = isoConv.parse(value, new ParsePosition(0));
String dateString = DateField.dateToString(date);
doc.add(Field.Keyword(name, dateString));

then when searching:

String from = DateField.timeToString(searchFromDate);
String to = DateField.timeToString(searchToDate);
RangeQuery rq = new RangeQuery(new Term(searchKey, from),
                            new Term(searchKey, to), true);

Is this not correct?

bst,
-Rob