lucene-java-user mailing list archives

From "Kevin A. Burton" <bur...@newsmonster.org>
Subject Re: index update (was Re: Large InputStream.BUFFER_SIZE causes OutOfMemoryError.. FYI)
Date Wed, 14 Apr 2004 19:13:38 GMT
petite_abeille wrote:

> On Apr 13, 2004, at 02:45, Kevin A. Burton wrote:
>
>> He mentioned that I might be able to squeeze 5-10% out of index
>> merges this way.
>

> Talking of which... what strategy(ies) do people use to minimize
> downtime when updating an index?

This should probably be a wiki page.

Anyway... two thoughts I had on the subject a while back:

You maintain two disk (not RAID ... you get reliability through software).

Searches are load balanced between disks for performance reasons.  If
one fails you just stop using it.

When you want to do an index merge you read from disk0 and write to
disk1.  Then you take disk0 out of search rotation and add disk1 and
copy the contents of disk1 to disk two.  Users shouldn't notice much of
a performance issue during the merge because it will be VERY fast and
it's just reads from disk0.

Kevin

--

Please reply using PGP.