lucene-java-user mailing list archives

From "Kevin A. Burton" <bur...@newsmonster.org>
Subject Re: verifying index integrity
Date Tue, 13 Apr 2004 00:50:43 GMT
Doug Cutting wrote:

> If you use this method, it is possible to corrupt things.  In
> particular, if you unlock an index that another process is modifying,
> then modify it, then these two processes might step on one another.
> So this method should only be called when you are certain that no one
> else is modifying the index.

We're handling this by using .pid files.  We use a standard initializer
and use your own lock files with process IDs.  If you're on UNIX I can
give you the source to the JNI getpid that I created.  I've been meaning
on Open Sourcing this anyway... putting it into commons probably.

This way you can prevent multiple initialization if a java process is
currently running that might be working with your index.  Otherwise
there's no real way to be sure the lock isn't stale (unless time is a
factor but that slows things down)

Kevin

--

Please reply using PGP.