lucene-java-user mailing list archives

From "Kevin A. Burton" <bur...@newsmonster.org>
Subject Large InputStream.BUFFER_SIZE causes OutOfMemoryError.. FYI
Date Tue, 13 Apr 2004 00:45:37 GMT
Not sure if this is a bug or expected behavior.

I took Doug's suggestion and migrated to a large BUFFER_SIZE of 1024^2
.  He mentioned that I might be able to squeeze 5-10% out of index
merges this way.

I'm not sure if this is expected behavior but this requires a LOT of
memory.  Without this setting the VM only grows to about 200M ... As
soon as I enable this my VM will go up to 1.5G and run out of memory
(which is the max heap).

Our indexes aren't THAT big so I'm not sure if something's wrong here or
if this is expected behavior.

If this is expected I'm not sure this is valuable.  There are other uses
for that memory... perhaps just doing the whole merge in memory...

Kevin

--

Please reply using PGP.

    http://peerfear.org/pubkey.asc