lucene-java-user mailing list archives

From Stefan Duffner <duff...@dig.de>
Subject Merge multiple indeces like a sql join
Date Thu, 01 Apr 2004 11:58:51 GMT
Hi,

I am testing for Lucene for a project and I am new in Lucene and I have
a question. I read the documentation and searched the mailing test but I
did not find any anwser for my question.

My problem:
I have to 2 indeces (I made a simple test example): First index is
storing information about books and the second is storing information
about authors. Both indeces have a field named number, which is a unique
indentifier for an author. If these 2 indeces are tables in a database I
would normally join tables, where number is the key of the author table
and the foreign key of book table. Now  I want to do same with Lucene. I
used the MultiSearcher and I get 2 hits (one from book index and the
other from author table), if  I use an unique number. I think this is
normal behaviour, but I am not sure. Can you give me an answer, if this
is correct ? What can I do to solve this problem (The only idea I have
for the moment is to determine which terms are for the one index and
which are for the other and split them. Then make a search on one index
and get the unique numbers of this search result. Then I will use this
unique numbers with the other query parameters for the next search in
the other index) ?

--
Thanks for any comments
Stefan