lucene-java-user mailing list archives

From Erik Hatcher <e...@ehatchersolutions.com>
Subject Re: Problems From the Word Go
Date Fri, 30 Apr 2004 14:25:24 GMT
On Apr 30, 2004, at 8:52 AM, Terry Steichen wrote:
> Erik,
>
> Maybe you could donate some of those demo modules (and the accompanying
> article/text) to Lucene, so they'd be incorporated officially in the
> website?

Sure... and in fact that has been my intention all along.  One idea
that I had with the Lucene book effort was to build a complete
Searchblox-like (no offense guys!) application that could be used as a
real intranet search system.  It has turned out that this was too bold
of an idea to develop for the book because it is marginally useful in
the context of book examples since it would not be able to demonstrate
all the various bells and whistles without being contrived.

I have no problem with any code I've done for the articles or the book
becoming part of Lucene as examples.  It will be a couple of months
before my plate is clear enough to package it up nicely enough though,
so for now the articles will have to suffice.

Rest assured, though, that my intention is to eventually flesh out a
really nice example web application that is easily usable.  The current
example app is "usable" now, it just takes jumping through some odd
hoops to get running unfortunately.

By the way, my JavaDevWithAnt project has been freely available for
quite some time now, and in its current for it is an easy-to-build web
app that searches a Lucene index of a snapshot of Ant's documentation
(the HTML files).  You can grab it here:

	http://www.ehatchersolutions.com/JavaDevWithAnt

Eventually I'll beef that application up with new Ant 1.6 best
practices and replace Struts with Tapestry.

	Erik