lucene-java-user mailing list archives

From Erik Hatcher <e...@ehatchersolutions.com>
Subject Re: Zero hits for queries ending with a number
Date Sat, 03 Apr 2004 15:11:43 GMT
On Apr 3, 2004, at 9:59 AM, lucene@nitwit.de wrote:
> On Saturday 03 April 2004 15:19, Erik Hatcher wrote:
>> date:[20030101 TO 20030202]
>
> I found the/my bug.
>
> Since Lucene is case-sensitive, I do lower-case all queries for user's
> convenience. The ParseException is thrown because the "TO" becomes
> "to".
>
> Well, I really think Lucene needs to daff such stumbling blocks
> aside...

No objections that error messages and such could be made clearer.
Patches welcome!  Care to submit better error message handling in this
case?  Or perhaps allow lower-case "to"?

But, also, folks need to really step back and practice basic
troubleshooting skills.  I asked you if that string was what you passed
to the QueryParser and you said yes, when in fact it was not.  And you
slowly fed more details of your scenario (MFQP, some German
SnowballAnalyzer variant).  Reduce the variables in the equation and
narrow things down until it works and then incrementally add
complexity.  I cannot encourage folks enough to try some JUnit
test-driven *learning* by exploring various scenarios.

	Erik