lucene-java-user mailing list archives

From luc...@nitwit.de
Subject Re: Zero hits for queries ending with a number
Date Sat, 03 Apr 2004 15:34:06 GMT
On Saturday 03 April 2004 17:11, Erik Hatcher wrote:
> No objections that error messages and such could be made clearer.
> Patches welcome!  Care to submit better error message handling in this
> case?  Or perhaps allow lower-case "to"?

I think the best would be if Lucene would simply have a
setCaseSensitive(boolean).

IMHO it's in any case a bad idea to make searches case-sensitive (per
default).

> But, also, folks need to really step back and practice basic
> troubleshooting skills.  I asked you if that string was what you passed
> to the QueryParser and you said yes, when in fact it was not.  And you

I forgot that I did lower-case it. I fact I even output it in it's original
state but lower-case it just before I pass it to lucene. That lower-casing is
what I would call a hack and hence it's no surprise that I forgot it :-)

Timo