lucene-java-user mailing list archives

From Erik Hatcher <e...@ehatchersolutions.com>
Subject Re: ValueListHandler pattern with Lucene
Date Fri, 09 Apr 2004 20:18:41 GMT
Patterns are work-arounds for language deficiences :)

Don't use patterns because some book said so - use them if they are the
pragmatic choice.  Flattening data for reports or search results and
perhaps being a little more coupled to Lucene between tiers in order to
avoid performance problems seems a wise way to approach it.  Or go
straight to Lucene from the presentation tier - no one said you had to
proxy it through some other layer.

I would highly recommend *against* loading all documents from a search
into a collection and passing it across tiers - you're only asking for
trouble.

	Erik