lucene-java-user mailing list archives

From ke...@ckhill.com
Subject Re: clustering results
Date Sun, 11 Apr 2004 17:03:01 GMT
I got all excited reading the subject line "clustering results" but this isn't
really clustering is it?  This is more sorting.  Does anyone know of any work
within Lucene (or another indexer) to do actual subject clustering (i.e. like
Vivisimo @ http://vivisimo.com/ or Kartoo @ http://www.kartoo.com/)?  It would
be pretty awesome if Lucene had such ability, I know there aren't a whole lot
of clustering options, and the commercial products are very expensive.
Anyhow, just curious.

A brief definition of clustering: automatically organizing search or database
query results into meaningful hierarchical folders ... transforming long lists
of search results into categorized information without any clumsy pre-
processing of the source documents.

I'm not sure how it would be done...?  Based off of top Term Frequencies for a
document?

-K