lucene-java-user mailing list archives

From "Charlie Smith" <Smit...@ldschurch.org>
Subject Re: Lucene 1.4 - lobby for final release
Date Tue, 30 Mar 2004 17:30:44 GMT
Your opinion of course on the issued of "too many files open" not being a bug.
I found it to be otherwise.

Thanks for the info on popular elections.

Being a newbie to this list, I am finding that most others on the list a bit
more pleasant.

But then, you not up for a popular election, are you?  Appreciate all you do to
keep
us from shooting ourselves in the foot.

Thankyou. :(

Charlie Smith wrote:
> I'll vote yes  please release new version with "too many files open" fixed.

There is no "too many files open bug", except perhaps in your
application.  It is however an easy to encounter problem if you don't
close indexes or if you change Lucene's default parameters.  It will be
considerably harder to make happen in 1.4, to keep so many people from
shooting themselves in the foot.

Also, releases are not made by popular election.  They are made by
volunteer developer when deemeed appropriate.  If you'd like to get more
involved in Lucene's development, please contribute constructive efforts
to the lucene-dev mailing list.

> Maybe default the setUserCompoundFile(true) to true on this go around.

This was discussed at lenght on the developer mailing list a while back.
  The change has been made and will be present in 1.4.

> Otherwise, how can I get 1.3-RC2?  I can't seem to locate it.

The second hit for a Google search on "lucene 1.3RC2" reveals:

   http://www.apachenews.org/archives/000134.html

These search engines sure are amazing, aren't they!

Doug