lucene-java-user mailing list archives

From Erik Hatcher <e...@ehatchersolutions.com>
Subject Re: [patch] MultiSearcher should support getSearchables()
Date Wed, 31 Mar 2004 02:40:23 GMT
On Mar 30, 2004, at 8:52 PM, Kevin A. Burton wrote:
> Erik Hatcher wrote:
>
>> On Mar 30, 2004, at 5:59 PM, Kevin A. Burton wrote:
>>
>>> Seems to only make sense to allow a caller to find the searchables a
>>> MultiSearcher was created with:
>>

>> Could you elaborate on why it makes sense?  What if the caller
>> changed a Searchable in the array?  Would anything bad happen?  (I
>> don't know, haven't looked at the code).
>
> Yes... something bad could happen... but that would be amazingly
> stupid ... we should probably recommend that it be readonly.

No question that it'd be unwise to do.  We could say the same argument
for making everything public access as well and say it'd be stupid to
override this method, but we made it public anyway.  I'd rather opt on
the side of safety.

Besides, you haven't provided a use case for why you need to get the
searchers back from a MultiSearcher :)

	Erik