lucene-java-user mailing list archives

From Ching-Pei Hsing <cphs...@comergent.com>
Subject The Filter got called more than one time
Date Tue, 30 Mar 2004 19:28:07 GMT
Hi,

We implemented a Filter that performs filtering based on some internal
pricing logic. While testing we discovered that this filter got called
several times, not like the FAQ says, exactly one time. And the number of
calls made was based on how big the result set was. I printed out the
calling stack and discovered that Hits.doc(n) also calls
IndexSearcher.search(Query, Filter) when there're more docs needed. I can
understand the lazy retrieve for optimization, but it seems wrong to me to
just call the search function again and again. At least the filter should
not be invoked over and over again.

Logic in our filter is a little bit heavier than usual already. We
definitely want to reduce the number of calls to it. Is there any way we can
work around this?

Call to Searcher.search()
at
com.comergent.reference.appservices.productService.search.query.PricingFilte
r.bits(PricingFilter.java:244)
at
com.comergent.api.appservices.search.query.CmgtFilter.bits(CmgtFilter.java:1
08)
at org.apache.lucene.search.IndexSearcher.search(IndexSearcher.java:132)
at org.apache.lucene.search.Hits.getMoreDocs(Hits.java:93)
at org.apache.lucene.search.Hits.<init>(Hits.java:80)
at org.apache.lucene.search.Searcher.search(Searcher.java:71)

Call to Hits.doc()
at
com.comergent.reference.appservices.productService.search.query.PricingFilte
r.bits(PricingFilter.java:244)
at
com.comergent.api.appservices.search.query.CmgtFilter.bits(CmgtFilter.java:1
08)
at org.apache.lucene.search.IndexSearcher.search(IndexSearcher.java:132)
at org.apache.lucene.search.Hits.getMoreDocs(Hits.java:93)
at org.apache.lucene.search.Hits.hitDoc(Hits.java:153)
at org.apache.lucene.search.Hits.doc(Hits.java:118)

Thanks

Ching-pei