lucene-java-user mailing list archives

From Doug Cutting <>
Subject Re: Performance of hit highlighting and finding term positions for
Date Thu, 01 Apr 2004 03:22:19 GMT
Kevin A. Burton wrote:
> Doug Cutting wrote:

>> According to these, if your documents average 16k, then a 10-hit
>> result page would require just 66ms to generate highlights using
>> SimpleAnalyzer.
> The whole search takes only 300ms... this means that if I highlight 5
> docs I've doubled my search time.

My math was wrong, but yours seems even more so!  I meant 110ms to
highlight ten docs.  If you only highlight 5, then it's 55ms.  If your
query is taking 300ms, then this adds less than 20%.

> Note that Google has a whole subsection of their cluster dedicated to
> keyword in context extraction.

I think that's that's for i/o reasons, not that it requires a lot of

To unsubscribe, e-mail:
For additional commands, e-mail:

View raw message