lucene-java-user mailing list archives

From Doug Cutting <cutt...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Demoting results
Date Fri, 19 Mar 2004 16:58:23 GMT
Doug Cutting wrote:
>> On Thu, 2004-03-18 at 13:32, Doug Cutting wrote:
>>
>>> Have you tried assigning these very small boosts (0 < boost < 1) and
>>> assigning other query clauses relatively large boosts (boost > 1)?
>
> I don't think you understood my proposal.  You should try boosting the
> documents when you add them.  Instead of adding a "doctype" field with
> "good" and "bad" values, use Document.setBoost(0.01) at index time.

Sorry.  My mistake.  You did understand my proposal, it was just a bad
proposal.  Boosting documents is a better approach, but is less
flexible.  I think the final proposal in my previous message might be
the best approach (defining a custom coordination function for these
query clauses).

Again, sorry for the false accusation,

Doug