lucene-java-user mailing list archives

From "Kevin A. Burton" <bur...@newsmonster.org>
Subject Re: DocumentWriter, StopFilter should use HashMap... (patch)
Date Thu, 11 Mar 2004 22:19:16 GMT
Scott ganyo wrote:

> I don't buy it.  HashSet is but one implementation of a Set.  By
> choosing the HashSet implementation you are not only tying the class
> to a hash-based implementation, you are trying the interface to *that
> specific* hash-based implementation or it's subclasses.  In the end,
> either you buy the concept of the interface and its abstraction or you
> don't.  I firmly believe in using interfaces as they were intended to
> be used.

An interface isn't just the concept of a Java interface but ALSO the
implied and required semantics.

TreeSet, etc are too slow to be used with the StopFitler thus we should
prevent their use.

We require HashSet/Map...

> Scott
>
> P.S. In fact, HashSet isn't always going to be the most efficient
> anyway.  Just for one example:  Consider possible implementations if I
> have only 1 or 2 entries.

HashSet is not always the most efficient... if you need to do runtime
inserts and bulk removal TreeSet/Map might be more efficient.  Also if
you need to sort the map then you're stuck with a tree.

KEvin

--

Please reply using PGP.

    http://peerfear.org/pubkey.asc