lucene-java-user mailing list archives

From Doug Cutting <cutt...@apache.org>
Subject Re: update performance
Date Thu, 11 Mar 2004 19:12:27 GMT
Chris Kimm wrote:
> Unfortunately, I'm not able to batch the updates.  The application needs
> to make some descisions based on what each document looks like before
> and  after the update, so I have to do it one at a time.

Are these decisions dependent on other documents?  If not, you should be
able to queue the updates and apply them as a batch, no?

> I guess this
> is not a common useage scenario for Lucene.  Otherwise, an update()
> might already be built in somewhere.

Rather, Lucene's API makes it convenient to do what is efficient, and
less convenient to do what is inefficient.  Batching is inherently more
efficient.

> Is there anything in the locking/sync framework which precludes saving
> the cost of closing the Directory object and deleting the temp lock file
> each time an update is made?

You could disable locking, but I doubt it will make it much faster.

Doug