lucene-java-user mailing list archives

From Chris Kimm <ch...@seeqa.com>
Subject update performance
Date Thu, 11 Mar 2004 17:35:41 GMT
The standard pattern for updating an index - removing a document then
re-adding the modified document to the index - is currently a
significant performance bottleneck in my application.  I sometimes need
to update ~1000 documents at a time.  The major cost of this pattern as
far as I can see is IndexWriter.close ().   Average times for an update
to an FSDirectory look like this:

delete document: 7 ms
create document: 6 ms
add document: 11 ms
IndexWriter.close: 59 ms

Is there a way to synchronize IndexWriter and IndexReader so that a call
to IndexWriter.close is not required for each update?  I guess I mean to
ask if there is a *simple* way to do this.  I imagine that one could
write an IndexUpdater class which manages the synchronization of Locks,
temp files, etc.

Thanks,

Chris