lucene-java-user mailing list archives

From Doug Cutting <cutt...@apache.org>
Subject Re: DocumentWriter, StopFilter should use HashMap... (patch)
Date Thu, 11 Mar 2004 17:04:47 GMT
Erik Hatcher wrote:
> Yes, I saw it.  But is there a reason not to just expose HashSet given
> that it is the data structure that is most efficient?  I bought into
> Kevin's arguments that it made sense to just expose HashSet.

Just the general principal that one shouldn't expose more of the
implementation than one must.  I can imagine faster things than a
HashSet for this, e.g., a well-coded letter tree (trie) could be a bit
faster, since it would only touch each character in the key once.  But
it's not a big deal, perhaps not worth fixing at this point.

I proposed a solution that both respected this concern (yours, as I
recall) while at the same time avoiding copying.  It doesn't need to be
an either/or situation.  We can easily hide the implementation, avoid
copying, and use the most efficient implementation internally.  If you
no longer care about hiding the implementation, then I guess this is
moot.  Before we started this exercise the implementation was exposed,
so things have gotten no worse, only better.  But they could have gotten
just a little bit better yet!

Cheers,

Doug