lucene-java-user mailing list archives

From Doug Cutting <cutt...@apache.org>
Subject Re: 1.3-final builds as 1.4-rc1-dev?
Date Thu, 11 Mar 2004 02:45:20 GMT
Jeff Wong wrote:
> I noticed that Lucene 1.3-final source builds a JAR file whose version
> number is "1.4-rc1-dev".  What does this mean?  Will 1.4-final build as
> "1.5-rc1-dev"?

Probably.  If you modify the sources of a 1.3-final release, and build
them, you're not building 1.3-final, but a derivative.  We could call it
1.3-dev or something, but that would be strange, as 1.3 development is
closed.  All development is now towards 1.4-based releases.  As a
side-effect, even if you make no changes to the 1.3-final sources and
build them, it builds as 1.4-rc1-dev.  I think that is still safer than
calling it 1.3-final, since 1.3-final should be reserved for the exact
jar file downloaded from Apache.  In general, anything ending with -dev
doesn't have any guarantees, and the version before that is only meant
to be suggestive.

Doug