lucene-java-user mailing list archives

From Doug Cutting <cutt...@apache.org>
Subject Re: DocumentWriter, StopFilter should use HashMap... (patch)
Date Tue, 09 Mar 2004 17:47:12 GMT
Erik Hatcher wrote:
> Well, one issue you didn't consider is changing a public method
> signature.  I will make this change, but leave the Hashtable signature
> method there.  I suppose we could change the signature to use a Map
> instead, but I believe there are some issues with doing something like
> this if you do not recompile your own source code against a new Lucene
> JAR.... so I will simply provide another signature too.

This is also a problem for folks who're implementing analyzers which use
StopFilter.  For example:

public MyAnalyzer extends Analyzer {

   private static Hashtable stopTable =
     StopFilter.makeStopTable(stopWords);

   public TokenStream tokenStream(String field, Reader reader) {
     ... new StopFilter(stopTable) ...

}

This would no longer compile with the change Kevin proposes.

To make things back-compatible we must:

1. Keep but deprectate StopFilter(Hashtable) constructor;
2. Keep but deprecate StopFilter.makeStopTable(String[]);
3. Add a new constructor: StopFilter(HashMap);
4. Add a new method: StopFilter.makeStopMap(String[]);

Does that make sense?

Doug