lucene-java-user mailing list archives

From Doug Cutting <cutt...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Sys properties Was: java.io.tmpdir as lock dir .... once again
Date Thu, 04 Mar 2004 16:53:45 GMT
hui wrote:
> Not yet. For the compound file format, when the files get bigger, if I add
> few new files frequently, the bigger files has to be updated. Will that
> affect lot on the search and produce heavier disk I/O compared with the
> traditional index format? It seems OS cache makes quite difference when the
> files not changed differently.

The compound format slows indexing performance slightly, but should not
affect search performance much.  It radically reduces the number of file
handles used when searching, by a factor of eight or more, depending on
how many indexed fields you have.

Perhaps the compound format should be the default format in 1.4.  Can
folks provide any benchmarks for how it affects performance?

Doug