lucene-java-user mailing list archives

From Michael Steiger <msli...@infoworks.at>
Subject Best Practices for indexing in Web application
Date Mon, 01 Mar 2004 11:24:26 GMT
Hello Lucene Users,
I have a web application using Oracle as the database and I want to add
fulltext query capablities. My idea was to extend the existing insert,
update and delete methods of my backend classes to add, delete/add and
delete respectively.

I'm new to Lucene and after a bit of googling and reading I found a few
issues which I do not know how to resolve in the moment.

1. Concurrency of IndexWriter and IndexReader
It seems that it is not allowed to open an IndexWriter and an
IndexReader at the same time. But if one user is changing records in the
database (and therefore changing documents in the Lucene index) and
another user is querying the index, I would need to open them both.

2. Optimizing the index
This is maybe related to my first issue.
I assume that while optimizing the index no queries are allowed. How
often should the index be optimized?

Thanks in advance
Michael