lucene-java-user mailing list archives

From "Chong, Herb" <HCho...@bloomberg.com>
Subject RE: Concurrency
Date Mon, 01 Mar 2004 13:34:12 GMT
when a file gets deleted under Unix, the name is removed from the file system but the file
doesn't go away until the INode is deleted. this happens when the last process using the file
closes it. if you create a new file with the same name, while the old one is open, you get
a new INode. in Windows, the file system name and file are managed as a single entity.

Herb....

-----Original Message-----
From: Otis Gospodnetic [mailto:otis_gospodnetic@yahoo.com]
Sent: Saturday, February 28, 2004 1:22 PM
To: Lucene Users List
Subject: RE: Concurrency

I'm not sure what happens on Windows, but this should work just fine
under UNIX.  The files still really do exist on disk, I believe, they
are just not visible after you delete them, and under UNIX the process
will still have a references to deleted index files (inodes is the
proper term in this context, I think) even after optimization, so
IndexSearcher will work.